Meal prep: 5 Healthy Recipes to Try For Weight Loss
Introduction to Meal Prep and its Benefits
Meal prep has become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason. It’s a great way to save time, money, and effort when it comes to cooking and eating healthy meals. If you’re new to meal prep, or just curious about its benefits, read on.
What is Meal Prep?
Meal prep is the process of preparing meals or portions of meals in advance. This can involve cooking entire meals and portioning them out for the week, or simply prepping ingredients like chopping vegetables or c meats. The goal is to have healthy, homemade meals ready to go throughout the week, without the need to cook every day.
According to a survey conducted by YouGov, a global public opinion and data company, 44% of Indians prefer to meal prep. This means that almost half of the population in India is actively taking steps to plan and prepare their meals in advance.
5 Healthy Meal Prep Recipes to Try For Weight Loss
Recipe 1: Tandoori Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
– 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
– 1 red pepper, sliced
– One yellow pepper, sliced
– 1 zucchini, sliced
– 1 red onion, sliced
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/2 cup plain yogurt
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– One garlic clove, minced
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
– One teaspoon of ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon ground coriander
– Juice of 1 lemon
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the tandoori marinade.
3. Add the chicken breasts to the bowl and mix well, making sure the chicken is well coated with the marinade. Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the sliced vegetables with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
5. Arrange the vegetables on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until they are soft and slightly browned.
6. Meanwhile, heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the chicken breasts and cook them for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they are cooked through.
7. Serve the Tandoori chicken with the roasted vegetables on the side.
– You can add more spices to the marinade according to your taste.
– Also, You can add other vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots to the mix.
– You can serve the Tandoori chicken with rice, quinoa, or naan bread.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy Tandoori Chicken with Roasted Vegetables! It’s a perfect meal to share with family and friends.
Recipe 2: Chickpea and Spinach Curry
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 chopped onion
– 3 cloves of minced garlic
– 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
– 2 teaspoons of curry powder
– 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
– 1 can of chickpeas
– One can of diced tomatoes
– 1 cup of vegetable broth
– 1 bunch of spinach leaves
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Basmati rice to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until it becomes tender.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, and cumin. Cook until fragrant, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer, uncovered, for about 8-10 minutes.
4. Add the spinach and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
5. Serve the curry with basmati rice or any other grain of your choice.
– If you like your curry spicy, you can add some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
– You can also add other vegetables to this curry, such as carrots, bell peppers, or zucchini.
Chickpea and Spinach Curry is a simple and wholesome vegetarian recipe that satisfies your taste buds and provides you with essential nutrients. Plus, it’s a great way to add more plant-based meals to your diet. Try this recipe today and enjoy the delicious flavors of this curry.
Recipe 3: Lentil and Vegetable Stew
– 1 cup of lentils
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– Two carrots, chopped
– 2 celery stalks, chopped
– 1 red bell pepper, chopped
– 1 can of diced tomatoes
– 4 cups of vegetable broth
– 1 tablespoon of olive oil
– 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse the lentils under cold water and set aside.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
3. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
4. Add the carrots, celery, and red bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
5. Add the lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pot.
6. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes until the lentils are tender.
7. Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning as needed.
8. Serve hot with crusty bread or rice.
This lentil and vegetable stew is perfect for a cozy night in or as a delicious lunch option. It’s easy to make and can be customized based on your taste preferences. Serve hot with crusty bread or rice for a complete and satisfying meal. Try this recipe and see why lentils are a staple in vegetarian cuisine.
Recipe 4: Grilled Fish with Mint Chutney
– 4 pieces of filleted white fish (such as tilapia or cod)
– 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
– 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
– 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
– 2 tbsp lemon juice
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
– Olive oil, for grilling
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
2. In a blender, combine the mint leaves, cilantro leaves, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and ginger. Blend until a smooth chutney form. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
3. Brush the fish fillets with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
4. Place the fish on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until the fish is fully cooked through.
5. Serve the grilled fish with a generous dollop of mint chutney on top.
– For an extra kick of flavor, add a pinch of cumin or coriander to the chutney.
– If you don’t have a grill available, you can also cook the fish in a skillet on the stove.
– This recipe pairs well with a side of grilled vegetables or a fresh salad.
Grilled fish with mint chutney is a delicious and healthy option for seafood lovers. With just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can create a flavorful dish that will impress your taste buds and your guests. Enjoy!
Recipe 5: Vegetable Biryani
– 2 cups basmati rice
– 3 cups water
– 2 bay leaves
– 4 cloves
– 4 green cardamom pods
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 2 tablespoons oil
– 1 onion, sliced
– One tablespoon of ginger paste
– 1 tablespoon garlic paste
– 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, cauliflower, potatoes)
– 2 tomatoes, chopped
– 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
– One teaspoon of red chili powder
– 1 teaspoon coriander powder
– 1 teaspoon cumin powder
– Salt to taste
– 2 tablespoons ghee
– 1/2 cup fried onions
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
1. Wash the rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a pot, heat the oil and add the bay leaves, cloves, cardamom pods, and cinnamon sticks. Fry for a few seconds until fragrant.
3. Add the sliced onion and fry until golden brown. Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry for a minute.
4. Add the mixed vegetables and fry for 5 minutes until they are half cooked.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
6. Add the soaked rice and 3 cups of water. Mix well and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat and cover the pot with a tight lid. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the rice is fully cooked and the water has evaporated.
8. In a separate pan, heat the ghee and fry the fried onions until golden brown. Add half of the fried onions and chopped coriander leaves to the rice and mix well.
9. Garnish the rice with the remaining fried onions and coriander leaves. Serve hot with raita or pickle.
Vegetable Biryani is a delicious and healthy dish that can be enjoyed by everyone. This recipe is easy to make and can be customized to suit your taste buds. Try this recipe and enjoy a flavorful and satisfying meal.
How to Get Started with Meal Prep?
Getting started with meal prep is easy. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Plan your meals: Before you start prepping, plan out what you want to eat for the week. This will help you make a grocery list and ensure that you have everything you need.
2. Set aside time to prep: Set aside a few hours each week to prep your meals. This could be on a Sunday afternoon or another day that works for you.
3. Invest in meal prep containers: Invest in containers that are designed for meal prep. These containers are usually microwave-safe, and dishwasher-safe, and have compartments for different foods.
4. Start small: If you’re new to meal prep, start small. Try prepping just a few meals or ingredients at first and work your way up.
Indian cuisine offers a wide variety of healthy and flavorful meal options that are perfect for meal prepping. With the right ingredients and a bit of planning, you can create delicious, nutritious meals that will keep you fueled and satisfied throughout the week.
By incorporating these meals into your weekly meal prep routine, you’ll save time, and money, and improve your overall health and well-being.
We encourage you to try healthy Indian meal prepping if you haven’t already. Don’t be intimidated by unfamiliar spices or ingredients – there are plenty of resources available to help you get started, from cookbooks and blogs to online cooking classes.
By making small changes to your diet, like incorporating more plant-based meals or experimenting with new flavors, you can make a big impact on your health and well-being. So what are you waiting for? Get in the kitchen and start prepping!