What is the AMH test?
If there is no pregnancy in women, the doctor prescribes many tests, which we call the fertility panel.
There are many tests in this fertility panel like :
The most important test in all these tests is the AMH test.
So let’s know what is AMH test and why the AMH test is done
What is the AMH test
The full name of AMH is Anti-Mullerian Hormone and this hormone is made by the granulosa cells of the ovarian follicles of women.
Females are born with a certain number of eggs for reproduction and their number decreases with age. At the time of birth, the number of eggs is about 20 lakhs and by the time they reach the age of 50, their number starts ending.
Normally a woman ovulates in a month and when she cannot get any sperm, that egg is dissolved by the body and due to this women get menstruation. Women who have PCOS i.e polycystic ovaries have an increased level of AMH.
Although having more or less an AMH level does not indicate whether the woman will be able to become a mother or not, this test shows the possibility of having children.
What the AMH Test Tells Amh Levels
The AMH test tells about a woman’s ovarian reserve, how much egg is in the ovary.
- If a woman’s AMH level is 1 ng/ml, it means that her egg store is still good and she is more likely to become a mother.
- If the level of AMH is less than 1 ng/ml, it means that he has a low number of eggs.
- AMH levels decrease with age. The more eggs there are, the more granulosa cells there will be and the higher the AMH level. High AMH does not indicate good quality of eggs, it only tells how many eggs are in your store.
What is the normal value of AMH?
- If the AMH is 3 ng/ml or more, it means that the woman has PCOS and should be treated.
- If the level of AMH is 1 ng/ml, it means that it is a normal value.
- If the AMH level is between 0.7 to 0.9, it indicates a low normal range.
- If the AMH level is 0.3 to 0.6 ng/ml, it indicates a low AMH level.
- if it is less than 0.3 ng/ml then it is very low.
What is the treatment for low AMH levels?
IVF is the easiest way to conceive when the AMH level is low. In Vitro Fertilization.
In IVF, the eggs of the female body or the eggs of the donor body are ovulated with the sperm of the man. This is the easiest and safest way.
Low AMH does not mean that the woman can never become pregnant, but it means that the woman may have trouble conceiving.
How to Raise AMH Levels
There is no known way to increase AMH levels yet, but some research suggests that regular supplements of vitamin D and DHEA can increase your AMH levels.
What should be the level of AMH according to age:
- 25-year-old female 3.0 ng/ml
- 30-year-old female 2.5 ng/ml
- 35-year-old female 1.5 ng/ml
- 40-year-old female 1 ng/ml
- 45-year-old female 0.5 ng/ml
What is the relationship of FSH with AMH?
The doctor writes the test of FSH ie Follicle Stimulating Hormone along with the AMH test.
FSH is made by our pituitary gland. FSH helps the egg to develop, due to which the level of estrogen and progesterone in the body increases.
An increase in FSH indicates the presence of fewer eggs in the woman’s body.
When should the AMH test be done?
- When you are not able to become a mother even after trying continuously for 6 months, then you must get the AMH test done.
- If you want to know your chances of pregnancy, then you must have an AMH test.
- If you are planning to go for IVF, the AMH test also shows your chances of success in IVF.
- You should have an AMH test even if you suspect an ovarian tumour.
How is an AMH test done and how much does an AMH test cost
AMH test is done by blood and its cost is around 2000 rupees. This price varies from lab to lab.