Metabolic Surgery: Find Out the Types & Cost in India!
Explore Different Types of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Today!
Metabolic surgery for diabetes is an increasingly popular treatment option for those who suffer from diabetes and have yet to produce good results through diet, exercise, or medications. Metabolic surgeries involve re-shaping the stomach and small intestine, which allow diabetics to better control their blood sugar levels by altering the production and absorption of nutrients. These surgeries are irreversible, so they should only be attempted after other methods have failed to yield sufficient improvements in the patient’s health. However, when these surgeries are successful they can provide an effective way to manage the disease long-term.
Metabolic surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is a type of weight loss procedure that is used to treat obesity and metabolic conditions. This surgery involves altering the digestive system by either removing part or all of the stomach in order to reduce the amount of food consumed at any one time. By applying this technique, metabolism can be changed to help an individual lose and manage their weight, as well as improve potential health risks associated with being overweight or obese such as type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular disease.
Individuals who are struggling with extreme obesity or who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 35 can opt for metabolic surgery in India. This evaluation will involve examining medical history, results from physical examinations and laboratory tests to analyze real health risks, a nutrition assessment and a mental coach counseling session all form part of this exercise before certifying someone as a suitable candidate!
What Are The Types Of Available Procedures?
There are different types of metabolic surgeries in India on your individual needs and requirements:
- Gastric Banding: This procedure involves placing a band around the top portion of your stomach to separate it into two sections with an extremely small opening connecting them both. As a result, your stomach’s capacity for consuming food at once decreases remarkably resulting in lesser calorie intake each time you eat or drink something.
- Gastric Bypass Surgery: This involves bypassing most parts of the small intestine from nourishing food. The process creates a much smaller area for allowing gaseous exchange between the intestine and digestive system making it difficult to absorb calories from consumed food items efficiently thus helping reduce weight instantly while controlling your appetite at the same time.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: This procedure involves removing up to 80 percent of your stomach thereby reducing its size significantly thus limiting the amount of food you can ingest every meal time greatly leading to healthy weight loss rather quickly compared to other procedures mentioned above.
Who can go for Metabolic Surgery in India?
Metabolic surgery is recommended mainly for people with a body mass index (BMI) Higher than 35 with associated medico hormonal illnesses like Type 2 Diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), dyslipidemia (high cholesterol level), Sleep Apnea, etc., it’s also beneficial if your BMI is higher than 40 even if you don’t have any aforementioned diseases but BMI lower than 35 can also be considered depending on an individual’s overall health condition.
- Recovery Process After The Procedure: The recovery period after metabolic surgery progresses slower than other forms of weight loss programs due to its invasive nature which requires additional care during the first few months afterward where the patient must refrain from activities taxing on the abdomen area while adhering to a strict schedule of medication regime ensure proper healing takes place end result expected successful well within the timeframe given by doctor regarding progress measure taken periodically check improvement levels!
- Benefits Of Metabolic Surgeries: Metabolic surgery is an effective tool to get rid of not just obesity but also myriad other health problems like type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Other benefits include improved body shape, lower fat content in the liver, normalized lipid profile, and better physical fitness levels. It also helps prevent several other diseases such as cancer, kidney failure, etc., by helping you attain a normal BMI (body mass index).
- Cost Of Metabolic Surgeries In India: The cost involved in undergoing any form of metabolic surgery may vary depending on factors such as doctor’s fees, hospital charges, and medications. For example, Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy may cost anywhere from Rs 1 lakhs including perioperative management costs. Gastric Bypass may be more expensive than this range mostly due to its complexity level than other forms like Bariatric Balloon insertion etc. This can cost anything between INR 70-80K approximately exclusive medicinal charge costs estimated extra & separately.
Other medications too may add additional costs here. Hence you should kindly consult prior to taking any decision regarding the same, always ensuring safety & scope checks prior to going ahead.
Bariatric vs. Metabolic Surgery
Bariatric and metabolic surgeries are two distinct procedures that help individuals with morbid obesity or metabolic disorders achieve long-term weight loss and improved overall health. The main difference between these two types of surgeries is the target. Bariatric surgery targets body fat while metabolic surgery targets abnormalities in metabolism that lead to diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol issues, sleep apnea, and other health problems.
- Procedure: Both surgical procedures involve making keyhole incisions (laparoscopic) in the abdomen; however, for bariatric surgery, only one laparoscopic incision might be necessary.
- Recovery: The rate at which a person recovers from bariatric or metabolic surgery depends on the complexity involved in the procedure performed – a less complicated operation typically results in shorter recovery periods than long, complex ones would have. Despite this fact, most patients are typically able to resume regular activities within 1-2 weeks after their surgeries if they follow post-op instructions given by their healthcare provider closely and practice proper self-care during their recovery period.
- Cost & Insurance Coverage: Generally speaking, metabolic operations are costlier than bariatric treatments due to their complexity as compared with the relative simplicity of bariatric procedures. If you ever find yourself asking which procedure will best suit your needs, speak with your primary care provider or consult with a professional surgeon. Do this for further insight into this matter before proceeding with any form of surgical intervention for either weight loss or hormone regulation purposes.
- Risk Factors: Similar to any type of invasive medical procedure, there will always risk inherently associated with undergoing abdominal surgery such as possible damage/trauma to internal organs, infection, excessive bleeding, or formation of clots amongst other things.
- Preoperative Evaluation: Metabolic surgery in India requires preoperative evaluation for identifying any risk factors and complications that might arise during the procedure. Causes of metabolic risk can include high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, thyroid disease, and kidney or liver problems. Most of these issues are due to unhealthy lifestyle habits, however, genetic factors can also be responsible. The preoperative evaluation may include physical examination, blood test, imaging studies, psychological assessment, and laboratory tests.
The Final Sum Up,
Metabolic surgery is a type of surgery that can help people with diabetes control their blood sugar levels by altering the digestive system. This can involve procedures such as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, among others. These surgeries make changes to the stomach and intestines in order to slow down the absorption of nutrients from food, which can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce fasting blood sugar levels for patients with diabetes.